Genesis According to the Miao People

Although many legends of creation and the flood have been preserved, only a few have included the story of Babel and the post-flood dispersion. This is surely one of the most Bible-like of all these traditions, and bears significant independent testimony to the truth of the record in Genesis.

1 Like

You’re welcome to believe that if you’d like, but saying that’s “the only credible way” to understand multiple flood legends is simply not true. Many ancient people groups settled by rivers or by the coast because a reliable source of water was necessary for a large civilization – it’s not at all surprising that many of these people experienced floods. That doesn’t mean they (or their ancestors) all experienced the same flood.

Interesting. Could you please cite a source where a modern scholar says that something in our commonly evolved psyche forced each culture to invent the same flood legend?

5 Likes
Even though we have been unable so far to locate anyone who can confirm the authenticity of the Miao tradition or the accuracy of its translation, it clearly has the ring of truth about it and we can believe it is authentic until someone can prove otherwise.

Anything in the professional literature about the Miao people and this legend?

Thanks Shannon
“Two hundred or so years ago, advocates of uniformitarianism claimed total victory. Once the uniformitarian “doctrine” of the latter days began to gain influence, Bible-believing Christians felt a need for a response. Some stood strong, but others felt compelled to reinterpret Scripture, and downgraded the great Flood to a “local” flood that covered only the Mesopotamian River Valley, or to a nonsensical “tranquil” flood that, while global, left no discernible geological trace.

Thus, the great error of the last days hinges on misinterpretations of creation and the Flood. In both cases, uniformitarianism denies supernatural involvement and attempts to reinterpret the evidence. However, in both cases, supernatural causes are necessary to explain the data, and adequate causes are revealed in Scripture. The created “very good” world was ruined by sin, and dramatically altered by the catastrophic processes of the great Flood. Today, we study the cursed, flooded remnant of the created world, no longer “very good.”

“Peter continues in the passage to assert that even this present world is only temporary. It currently maintains its seeming equilibrium, being “kept in store” by the “same word” of God (2 Peter 3:7), not by mere natural forces. A pseudo-uniformity reigns as sin grows once again, testing the Judge’s patience. But make no mistake, He has “reserved [this world] unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition [destruction] of ungodly men.” Man’s sin remains, and sin requires a death penalty. The penalty will not be by water next time, but by fire. The next judgment is described as another violent violation of the uniformity we now experience.”

“ Next, all degrade Scripture by placing man’s opinions above the obvious teaching of the text.

Excerpt From

The Global Flood

John D. Morris

This material may be protected by copyright.

“Genesis 6:3 tells us that God predicted one “hundred and twenty years” in advance that the Flood was coming to “destroy man whom I have created” (v. 7) because of man’s sinful choices. “But Noah [already hundreds of years old by then] found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (v. 8), suggesting that God communicated the coming judgment to him at that time. Noah was instructed to “make thee an ark of gopher wood” (v. 14) for the survival of his family and the animals. A global flood of surpassing intensity was approaching, and the only way to survive was on the specially designed Ark.”

“But what if Noah had lived in Mesopotamia and the Flood was only to be a local flood covering just the region around Noah’s home? Would there even have been a need for the Ark? It begs the question: “How far can you walk in 120 years?” In this length of time, one could walk around the earth several times. Certainly, even a feeble person could walk out of the Mesopotamian River Valley. Constructing the huge Ark was brutally difficult in any length of time. Why would a gracious God exercise His grace to Noah by forcing him to build an unnecessary ship? Why not tell him to migrate and return once the Flood had passed? And why take the animals?”

Excerpt From

The Global Flood

John D. Morris

This material may be protected by copyright.

Why would a gracious God exercise his grace to Joshua by forcing him to march around a city for seven days when they could have just found a way around it? Or to Abraham by forcing him to almost sacrifice his son? This kind of rhetoric makes no sense to me. If efficiency was God’s chief goal, there are a whole lot of other Bible stories he could have streamlined too.

3 Likes

So do you then ignore Job, the psalmists, and the thousands of believers ever since who have studied and marveled at the wonders and intracacies of God’s creation? Scriptures never ever revoked God’s declaration of goodness as you claim. To make sin into the powerful “re-creator” that you would have us believe is to throw out so much of the very scripture you are at such pains to “protect”. The sites you frequent may be able to keep their eyes closed, but onlookers who have learned to be attentive to all of God’s Word and works - they can all see what you refuse to look at: that these modern causes feeding you all this are driven almost exclusively by their own modern reactionism rather than by ancient tradition or wisdom or truth.

2 Likes

Hi Laura
Because we can look at things in our human as to why the Lord does things. Why did God do that? Then we become a god questioning why God does things. We become the authority because it isn’t who we think who God is. Just because we question God in our human, He does these things for the spiritual good.
We are all born sinners separated by God by the sin Romans 3:23.
The only remedy is for one to receive His perfect sacrifice that God made on the cross for our sins. All who receive Him become children born out of God.
That is the best gift receiving Christ who died for the sins of the world.
Why are people rejecting the Lord and His salvation? He paid the price in full.

Truth comes from reality* – the truth that comes from the reality of the data that God has revealed in the Bible and the truth that comes from the reality of data that God has revealed in creation. They do not and cannot conflict. If they appear to, then our interpretation of one or the other or both is flawed.

The Defeat of Flood Geology by Flood Geology

*I once had a YEC ask me for chapter and verse where the Bible said that. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

People are rejecting your opinion, that’s all.

5 Likes

If I’m reading your post correctly, then I agree – we have a limited view of what God does, and we can’t possibly know big-picture reasons for why some things happen. That was kind of my point – if the question is “why would God send a flood if Noah could have just moved?” then there are many potential reasons why. For one thing, 1 Peter talks about the flood as a symbol for the water of baptism. So that’s why I have no problem seeing the biblical flood as local, even though it might have been possible for Noah to move – for whatever reason, that was not God’s plan for his family.

1 Like

@Shannon & @Kelli – Why do you think your opinions are infallible?

1 Like

Amen to all of that! He is light and life for the world.

Some of them are rejecting it because they are seeing all the falsehoods that end up getting bundled in with it as if it has to be an all-or-nothing packaged deal. What a tragedy indeed!

2 Likes

No, people are rejecting “the faith” that God gives.
Romans 1:17 speaks to faith to faith refers to the interaction of God’s Spirit in one believer with the Spirit of God in another believer. Spiritual interaction of believers is faith to faith.
If you do not understand, that is fine.

God enlightens every person being born into the world. Without words.
No man will have an excuse for not knowing Him. Everyone has a choice on who they want to follow. If it isn’t the LORD JESUS that died for the sins of the world, then they are following another god they prefer of their own making. That is idolatry.

I’m not. If you think I am you are being pharisaical.

Our authority is the Word Himself. Not ourselves.

I repeat:  

1 Like

You know the jargon!

Actually God is infallible, all knowing