Four New Moderators!

@Laura:

Gosh… so much dissent … over a gorgeous picture. Don’t tell anyone, but the frame allowed me to take a very thin slice of the original picture … getting rid of all sorts of tacky distracting items in the background! … (whispering: don’t tell anyone though)…

Well, okay then. Maybe it was just the candle part that was distracting. I suppose, as with random Bible verses pulled out of their surroundings, context is very important when it comes to candles.

2 Likes

6 of us will labor, while the 7th will rest, as the Lord commanded.

4 Likes

@Laura

Perhaps you (or perhaps Brad?) are particularly influenced by the Jewish tradition of lighting candles for the deceased? I know that I have lit candles for departed loved ones in the context of the Catholic practice. And that I have even mistakenly purchased rather impressive candles in the supermarket (tall and robust glasses full of wax and wick), that I would later learn are intended for Jewish customers regarding their traditions for honoring their memories. I never had the heart to light them, and 10 years later finally put them into the trash (in a brown paper bag!).

But if lighting a candle was a universal gesture of mourning, I hardly think we would see candles featured so frequently in romantic comedies.

So who gets to rest?

1 Like

Here you go George:

Matthew 5:15-16 (KJV)
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

:grin:

1 Like

The only one who draws a paycheck …

2 Likes

My good sirs… surely your jests cut to the bone… he who draws a paycheck lives by the sweat of his brow!

[ @BradKramer, you can send me the Fiver to my private PO Box ]

2 Likes

Who’s talking about being late to the party… :slight_smile:

I suppose regulars here have probably noticed my dwindling activity on the Forum. I’ve been happy to contribute, but right now I need to focus more on finishing my graduate studies and commencing my PhD research (guess what, the subject is neuro-cognitive evolution :tada: ). I’ll still be contributing two BioLogos blog posts the coming monts, but that’s about it for now!

Thanks to you all for your presence here and I think the larger mod team will definitely help to keep the peace.

Casper

5 Likes

Good to hear from you Casper, best wishes and prayers for your studies!

1 Like

Best wishes. I hope you can share some of your research on Biologos sometime. That sounds like a very interesting field.

1 Like

Interesting to get the background and the introductory posts for the four newish mods. This is the best moderated forums I’ve ever experienced and you all do an amazing job. I think, to @Laura’s point, the admixture of non-science folk no doubt helps to make a wider audience to feel welcome here which seems relevant to making (regular) science a non taboo topic for all Christians.

But reading this makes me curious for the rest of the story. How long has the forums been active? The earliest posts I find are from 2015. Were @jpm, @Christy and @BradKramer all part of the original team?

1 Like

I do not know the distant past history, but just looking at the site, It looks like I joined in 2015 and became a moderator in 2016. There was another moderator back then who has gone on to other things, leaving Christy and I until we added the new ones.
Thank you for the kind words. Moderation is a challenge at times balancing open discourse with keeping things civil, and while we do our best, know that we are imperfect and must ask for grace.

6 Likes

The forum was launched in the fall of 2014, which was about when I started participating at the request of Jim Stump’s wife Chris who was on staff at the time and was trying to get more people involved. At the beginning Brad did all the moderating, but in August 2015 he asked if I would help out. BioLogos switched to this Discourse platform when they changed their website and how they were publishing content. They used to just have comment boards under the blog posts, but those were unfortunately not able to be archived when they moved the content to a new platform.

Thanks for the appreciation, Mark. It has been a fun hobby and I have learned a ton from everyone here. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I could not agree more :trophy:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.