Flu virus versus coronavirus

I am reading about the flu pandemic of 1918. It first broke out in the spring, then sort of disappeared, then reappeared in deadly form in the fall. But also from what I understand, the family of coronaviruses mutate much more slowly than flu virus (right?). So I am wondering what the chances are that it could mutate into a more deadly form for the “second wave” scientists expect?

3 Likes

Good question for some of our research types, but I would guess the chance of a more lethal mutation is pretty low, hopefully lower than the chance of a less lethal one. But the way this year is going…

1 Like

I’m fully expecting aliens in July.

4 Likes

Maybe they will have a cure.

2 Likes

THEY’RE HERE!!! THE VIRUSES!!!

1 Like

At this point, people would probably trust aliens with a cure over a vaccine, which is just sad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.