Favourite horror movie

Just a though i create this. I like horror movies . My two best are the nun(which has very deep themes to Catholicism but i like it although im not catholic) and The Witch. I cant forget the witch. It was real horror. Not even a jumpscare but the disturbing and horror scenes gave it a pretty good plot.

I don’t tend to like many movies in the horror genre, but I thought The Exorcism of Emily Rose was scary and also thought-provoking with the religious themes that accompanied the topic of exorcism.

It may be more “thriller” than “horror,” but I liked M. Night Shyamalan’s The Village for being similarly thought-provoking about religion and the desire for “purity.”

2 Likes

The Ring sticks out to me as one of the best horror films. It departs from the usual hack and slash formula (thank God), and manages to push all the buttons to creep you out and unsettle you.

1 Like

Not much of a horror fan. The house used in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is now a restaurant a few miles from where I live.
In an effort to make this somewhat sciencey or about religion, why do you think horror movies are popular? What is their appeal?

A suspense in reality and the idea that the horror on the screen might be real and might try and get us when we go to sleep at night. If you want horror in the Bible just read Revelation lol XD.
But for me, I love horror (mostly the Lovecraftian cosmic horror type with mystery and the fear and horror in not the monster(s) themselves, but that these things are more mysterious, big and far beyond what we humans can ever think of) While I don’t really have any fav horror movies; I do enjoy a lot of online based horror series such as series that deal with the internet urban legend Slenderman. Mostly Marble Hornets, everymanhybrid, and Tribe Twelve as of now. I have been doing a lot of reading on Poe and H. P. Lovecraft.

It seems I am following the trend of not being a huge horror fan. However, if I had to choose it would Ridley Scott’s Alien. I think there are a few things that make it great.

1. It was one of the first to depart from tired Sci-Fi/Horror cliches by presenting a strong female protagonist in the form of Erin Ripley. Compare, for example, the famous shower scene from Hitchcock’s Psycho.
  2. The viewer doesn’t see the xenomorph until the well into the final third of the film. Up until then it is glimpses, flashes, noises, etc. that’s a very clever way to build the tension.
  3. When the xenomorph is finally revealed she has disquieting humanoid features. Bipedal, long arms, an elongated head, with the addition of a tail. I think one of its creepiest features is that it has no eyes. And whilst the details of how they ‘see’ is fleshed out in later films, in this one I always get the impression there is a ‘they can’t see the pain and destruction they cause and so don’t care’ vibe going on.

Great Sci-Fi is always a commentary on the present through the exploration of the future, and I think this is true of the final point especially. Rightly or wrongly, the xenomorph in Alien always seems to be a picture of a humanity which uses violence and death to thrive and survive, whilst simultaneously blind the the harm it cause to those around them. Given that the film came out in 1979, I think there is something quite prescient about that critique for our our ‘extinction rebellion’ era.

Great question. First thoughts, two things. 1. The adrenaline kick of being scared and terrified but at the same time same from harm (Cf. Bungee jumping, roller coasters, sky diving, etc.). 2. In terms of the ultra-gore stuff I think it might be a modern expression of the Roman Colosseum. It is exists to entertain, and people go because it entertains.

To that I’d chuck in another couple of questions:

• What does millions of people paying money to see people being murder, tortured, abused, and dismembered say about Western Society in particular and humanity as a whole?

• To what extent is the ultra-violence of modern horror more or less acceptable because it is only simulation?

1 Like

I have no theological objection to horror movies, however, I find most horror movies nowadays to be derivative and unoriginal. I did like the Woman in Black, however.