Determining similarity statistics between the human and chimp genome

I took it as a response to my previous reply in general, which addressed many of his statements with an overly literal, right-or-wrong focus, while not responding to his offer to shift the discussion to bigger-picture truths.

In my own defense, there were a lot of points that needed responding to.

@Frank, all I want to say is that as I tried to make clear when I said this:

…I am hardly representative of the general forum membership; to be quite honest, I don’t even know how accurate I was to say “very few,” since in my time here I don’t recall seeing any other non-Christians at all. I appreciate having civilized discussions, and thanks for the conversation we’ve had!

Food for thought. Sometimes I get tunnel vision and don’t consider all the possibilities. The subject of the nature of the soul is a mystery, at least to me.

It is certainly a difficult topic for all of us! I think everybody who ever took a systematic theology course grappled with the pros and cons of the dichotomous and trichotomous descriptions of humans: are we body and soul or body, soul, and spirit? Are humans different from other animals because we have a specially endowed spirit? And as we start to dissect the Hebrew and Greek words associated with this topic, it seems like things get more, not less, confusing.

After the death of his wife, Douglas Hofstadter got very interested in the idea of “uploading” a human mind into a computer so that the person could a kind of “eternal life.” After all, if one views the “self” as the software running on a hardware device known as a brain, why couldn’t the software be transferred/copied to another hardware device?

I had heard this concept discussed in casual conversation among the faculty long ago but I was quite startled to see it published. Hofstadter took a lot of flack for it because it was seen more as “magic” than real science. But it caused me to wonder: Is “the soul” another topic where the Bible has to stoop to very rough and simplistic analogies in order to deal with us limited humans—but eventually we become sophisticated enough to grasp a more mature understanding of it? Is the mind our entire identity and it is software (thoughts and memories) running on hardware (a brain) and we can live eternally when that “software” is uploaded to “new bodies” (new hardware)? Don’t know.

I certainly have appreciated your participation, Lynn. And more “diversity” of thought goes a long way to make things more interesting here. I don’t think any apology is necessary. This is meant to be a place where everybody can speak up and learn from the discussion. I’ve certainly learned a lot here.

4 Likes

I deal with a lot of people with dementia, strokes and such, which brings up the question to of how much you can lose and still be you. And what happens to the you that is left or do you get it back when you die this earthly death? At least chimps don’t have to deal with that. I don’t think.

I try not to assume too much (I generally burn a whole lot of calories jumping to conclusions like I do… one way to keep fit) which is why I asked if you were somebody who takes parables and such all as historical truth. Sorry if even having to ask comes off as condescending. I’m not trying to imply that you or any general group of people is dumb. I fellowship with (and look up to) people who actually fit this category of “fundamentalist literalists” and so I try to write with at least half-a-mind as if they themselves were reading. It isn’t a matter of intelligence for most of us I shouldn’t think but more a matter of where we’ve decided to dig in with our convictions.

You are correct that we don’t know each other very well and shouldn’t presume too much.[quote=“Frank, post:112, topic:35009”]
Whoa! Let’s set the record straight on this issue. The nineteenth century atheist/agnostic Darwin who lost his faith and his bulldog Huxley who promoted the notion of evolutionary naturalism did precisely the opposite of what you assert.
[/quote]

You say I’ve misunderstood you. So would it be true then that you do accept that scriptural Truth can be expressed in story form – even in stories that aren’t explicitly labeled as “parables”? I’m not here arguing that everything in the Bible that sounds incredible must suddenly be considered as a parable – I realize that many see this as a can of worms and want to leave it completely closed. I’m just suggesting that some things can be understood as “pre-scientific narratives”, including, for instance the Genesis creation teachings. (I’ll introduce the term “pre-scientific” here to be a more applicable expression instead of “parable” which may involve genre-typing that is over-specific for my more general point.) So when I say “empirical in principle”, I mean something like: if we could take a time machine back and film it, we would actually see all these things happening in their literal senses over the short times described (sort of like being there to watch Aslan sing Narnia into being.)

If you had a friend that you had known for life, but you in fact could not recall the circumstances of your first meeting of this person (because it was a recollection back into your fading childhood years --and nobody else still alive is able to recall either), would you then inform this life-long friend that you were sorry, but you could no longer consider this friendship as valid because its origins cannot be documented? Of course we all give this rhetorical question a resounding negative response! So why is it that anybody should think our awareness of our very real and present sin would suddenly evaporate if we were to reject the notion of biologically inherited sin? Our enslavement to sin is a solid tower of pride, not one whit touched (or bolstered either one) by any doubt or belief respectively regarding the inheritance of an original sin. Take away the entire Adamic story, and I’m still 100% acutely aware of my sin and need for God by the law alone, and that among other things even! Now I’m not arguing here that Adam should not be taken historically. I’m just saying that even if he wasn’t, how would this persuade anybody could think that sin just never even existed? It is one of the few solidly empirical observations we can make about our spiritual selves and the world.[quote=“Frank, post:112, topic:35009”]
When you say “some of the OT narratives” which ones are you referring to? How do you know this? What’s your basis for saying so?
[/quote]

I had primarily the Genesis 1 -3 creation and sin accounts in mind per our discussions of it. There are other passages (like the entire book of Job or Ezekiel’s vision of the valley of dry bones) and retain their full power even if they turn out to not have literally happened. There will be others where it may not be so clear to us how important it is to think about it as like a modern historical account. The New Testament gets clearer about this on the important things (like the Resurrection as you pointed out from I Corinthians 15).

You seemed alarmed that I appear to be placing myself (or us) “above Paul” by thinking we know more than he did. I can understand and even register some of your same alarm if I or anybody was to speak of Jesus in these terms --we can argue as to whether or how much omniscience Jesus had while he walked this vale in the flesh. I’m not totally settled on that myself and won’t argue too hard on what is beyond us. But Paul? Nobody can make any case whatsoever that he was omniscient – which is what he’d have to be if he knew everything we all knew now and was just “holding it back”. Are you saying that Paul was privy to all modern scientific discovery? knew that the earth moves? knew that there was a New World on some soon-to-be American continents? I trust that you will agree with me that this is just a bit silly, lest I be seen as being condescending to you again. I bet we’re both convinced that Paul knew exactly what he needed to know in order to accomplish his God-given mission of spreading the gospel news to the gentiles. Since there was no need for Paul to know anything related to deep-time or any other modern scientific discoveries that would only anachronistically confuse his contemporaries, why should we think that God would just plop all this extra, unnecessary truth into his head?

We are privileged to know a lot now (much of it actual truth I’m convinced) that they just wouldn’t have known about then. It doesn’t make us better or more virtuous than they. We’re just living in a different time.

Not always. Sometimes things are complicated and messy and our simple mental version of them may exist only in our minds. Imagine if I asked you whether or not the people of France are correct? It isn’t a binary question, even if we narrowed it down to just one person we still have the absurd generality to which we must further inquire: “correct about what?”.

The moderators have been extra gracious to let all this go on underneath an entirely unrelated heading --it feels presumptuous to me to be the one that would shuffle all this over to some new thread. But I’m glad this blog space isn’t a zero-sum situation where on-topic posts get squeezed out by ours – at least I trust and hope that isn’t happening.

In any case, thanks for your continued conversation, Frank.

6 Likes

Some theologians have included in such discussions the state of the mind when sleeping and when in full anesthesia.

A newborn baby has a brain with relatively limited neural connections (when compared to a grown adult.) So the “you” at that point is quite a “simplistic state.”

One thing we know from history: when we start defining what is sufficient to constitute “humanness”, things can get perilous. I won’t go beyond that point because it will take us to political controversies. But I think it is interesting how these complex questions have weighty implications. And in recent years, animal rights has complicated things further. I sometimes wonder where the genome comparisons between humans and chimps will take us on such issues.

@Mervin_Bitikofer, a ‘like’ seemed insufficient, since I wanted one for each of your paragraphs. That was extremely well articulated.

1 Like

This is actually not true, Socratic :slight_smile: . The brain of a newborn baby has many, many more neural connections than that of an adult. So much to be redundant and “useless”. During a child’s early years, most of these connections are being pruned away for specific neural pathways to specialize for certain tasks (“use it or lose it”). Also those specialized pathways are becoming isolated with myelin to allow for faster transmission of signals. This is why the newborn’s brain starts out as consisting mainly of “grey matter” and develops more “white matter” (due to myelination) along the way.

2 Likes

Dr. Hannibal Lecter: “So that’s why they taste different…”

2 Likes

My wording was appallingly poor. A newborn’s brain has QUALITATIVELY limited neural connections in terms of useful purposes precisely because they are quantitatively overly abundant. I had a professor who somehow likened it to certain circuit board fabrication processes—but I can no longer recall his analogy. (It is weird how that works. My brain still retains memories of my being impressed by his explanation but I can’t remember the explanation itself. Getting old stinks. I feel like I’ve forgotten more than I can remember. It’s very discouraging.)

Which is something that makes the creation of a mature Adam with moral capability problematic. If he was just “wired that way” you look for the electrician.

I think such arguments about how much DNA we may have inherited from ape ancestory are intersting but can be a way of side-stepping the acceptance of evolution by Christians. If it is shown that we share X% of our genome with chimps or sea urchins, pointing to a common origin of life, that strenghens the evidence for evolution.But why should people be so reluctant to believe that maybe God really did “create” us and all life over millions of years through natural process of mutation and change? Why should our life have been instaneous creations on a particular day? The choice is not between atheist evolution and Judaic-Christian belief in creation on some pasf day. We can concieve of a naturally creating God who does so in patience and love over the millions of years of earh’s existence.

3 Likes

@Frank

Did you ever reply to @Lynn_Munter’s comment?

1 Like

There have been a few in the time I’ve been around the Forum. I miss having @Patrick’s voice around, for instance, and if I read another comment on another thread correctly, I think there’s at least one other non-Christian hanging around even on this very thread.

2 Likes

@GJDS

First George, I admire the creative stance this position requires. Frankly, I think it solves a lot of problems. But you have chosen not to use this approach to address some of your objections, yes?

You could easily accommodate evolutionary processes and time periods for hominids into this open-ended view, no? Since you accept the idea of humans existing that are not mentioned by Genesis… why can you not also accept the idea that these Other Humans evolved (per BioLogos views) … since the Adam creation by the Bible does not necessarily apply to them either?

2nd George

Doesn’t this interpretation depend on identifying the humans God created “in His image” in Gen 1:27 with God creating Adam in Gen 2:7 and Eve in Gen 2:22? I am aware that majority Christian interpretation has been that these refer to the same events, but surely that is not the only legitimate reading of it?

I feel that many discussions on this subject become side-tracked - the Bible is concerned primarily with teaching us about God and His revelation to humanity, culminating in the complete revelation in Christ. The Church accepts this criteria regarding, amongst many areas of concern and interest to Christians, to of Adam and Eve. When we consider the intense (and at times irrational) discussions on Adam and Eve as if they were meant to show/disprove ToE, I feel we get into odd discussions that are irrelevant to the Biblical message. The central theme is God and humanity, and this began with Adam and Eve.

1 Like

This is a sensible inference from reading the text - I would simply add that my reading is consistent with an emphasis on Adam and Eve and a “side comment” so to speak, regarding other matters.

There is not need to accommodate any theory, be it of the physical or biological sciences - Genesis is concerned with teaching us about God and His involvement with humanity, and this commenced with Adam and Eve.