Creation Photos Around the World

No plans to reintroduce brown bears yet, which I think is a shame…

1 Like

Visiting Florissant Fossil National Monument near Colorado Springs, very interesting place with abundant fossils from 34 million YBP here is a pic of petrified redwood stump and a little fossil leaf from shale at a private quarry. The volcano that produced the ash that covered the area is long since eroded away, but this fragile leaf it covered still leaves its mark. A lesson in there somewhere.

9 Likes

I’ve read that redwoods used to range all the way across the continent. Cool to see the evidence. About how big was it across if you recall?

1 Like

There were some maybe 4 meters in diameter.

7 Likes

Not sure of the species. It’s obviously some kind of bolete mushroom. Most likely edible. But I did not bring my bags or basket to collect. But I liked the underside quite a bit. I’m the opposite of someone with trypophobia. It’s actually one of my favorite forms of body horror tools. “ The Incarnation “ on Netflix is a recently released and very good Asian horror found footage style film that uses that a lot.

3 Likes

Lake Michigan
Bee balm ( I think)

3 Likes

Great Sand Dunes National Monument in Colorado with interesting juxtaposition of sand and mountains. The wind blows sand from an old prehistoric lakebed until it is trapped against the mountains.

The other pic is not so much nature but nature related as it is the wind farm around Sweetwater Texas with around 1400 turbines in the county and pretty much everywhere as far as the eye can see.

6 Likes

There is a good deal of lousy farmland in MI that no one farms. I think it could be a good place for wind farms. But that’s super controversial here, and not for environmental reasons.

We were through there in the day, but have come through there at night, and it is sort of weird, with flashing red lights going on and off together over the countryside. Makes you think the aliens have landed.

2 Likes

Yea, it does. We have a few north of here. I have thought the same thing.

Went on a long hike today. Was just under 30 miles. Sometimes I was hiking fast, sometimes I was hiking slow and getting pics, a few times I decided to simply jog 3-4 miles at a time. Was not to hot. I think them ax was 89°f though it was probably a bit more from “swamp heat” in microclimates at times. About 10 miles of it was less hot since it was along a river in a forest. Was hoping it would burn off a bit more stress than it did so I’ll probably head out to the gym in a bit and just push it in the kickboxing area. There is normally someone there wanting to toss some punches. With pads, helmets and light gloves. It’s enough you can get bruised for sure but there is a general understanding there is no hard enough to break bones or knock anyone out. Know chokes or bars either. It’s not for grappling but punches and kicks and a few slams.

A bar over in Florida has recently got its permits back for “ bar fights “ on Tuesdays. It’s amateur kickboxing that allows some grappling. Several years ago use to go and join. Place ended up closing down in Covid and is now opened up and bringing it back. Free to join. Only 10 can enter. Winner gets $1500. I won a few times and mostly lost lol. There is a guy who I think is Samoan. Some islander. Tough. He’s only like 5’10 too but he’s around 280lbs of muscle. He bench pressed one night there when they had a bench press challenge, 460lbs about six times. I even thought it was fake and so I got down and tried. I could barely get it up off the bar, and barely control it coming down from crushing me, and could not lift it even 3 inches off of me. The dude then grabbed 45lb plates ( 4 of them ) and pressed them over his head like 10 times really fast. Every time he is there for the fight he has won. Even when I blocked his punches, it hurt really bad and rattled the heck out me. I think if it was bare knuckles, he could break my forearms with his punches if they were against my face.

3 Likes

![image|375x500](upload://akDdHaGXjuY1ehUUvf1ObfUlLBf.jpeg

I’m not sure what species of mushroom this is but it’s really cool and I’ll hopefully have it keyed out and IDed by this week.

5 Likes

You take a mean photo but that dragonfly … wow!

5 Likes

The dragonfly was really pretty. It’s the first time i remember seeing these. They were all about 1/3-1/2 the size of the typical green dragonflies that I seen.

Here is a wider image of it. I really liked how it was metallic looking.

Here is of another species that was eating what I think is a horsefly.

Was some nice meadow beauties also.

5 Likes

Eating horseflies is a great public service. I wonder why they bite so hard are they actually looking to feed off us? One of the creatures I have no qualms about doing in. And what makes them so tough I wonder. A blow that would at least stun a houseflies doesn’t even make them flee.

5 Likes

I love these cute little things :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Beautiful lantana! Even in hot dry weather, they can be counted on to bloom.

3 Likes

Just saw a cool picture of a Euphorbia lambii that had become fasciated or crested, typically plant growth in which the growing tip becomes ribbon-like instead. I posted a fasciated Echium s year or two ago that complete fascinated me. There is an extensive article with a lot of photos here: https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3448/?fbclid=IwAR3WIBCSgLjVsrhbAXCJfQcGVo6FHgW5gc3DnP8V2r_Qum0Z6vomhYs1QhE

Meanwhile here is the photo I just saw on Facebook:

Imgur

I grow it but I guess I don’t take many photos of it. Here is a very old photo of a E. lambii with normal growth at about three years of age in the center of this photo. .

Imgur

From the article I linked at the top here is one of the more remarkable crested succulents I’ve ever seen, an Agave.

Imgur

And here is are some agaves I took at a local botanical garden.

Imgur

Finally here are a couple of the Echium that crested in my garden in April 2021.

Imgur

Imgur

8 Likes

Amazing plants! Right now, it is difficult to keep trees and landscape alive with the heat. I think we are up to 20 straight days over 100, and would be over 30 straight days were it not for one day it only reached 99.

2 Likes

That’s crazy. It’s always hot here right now, though it’s only in the mid 90s, but this is when we get massive amounts of rain. For example it has rained everyday for at least an hour since late June.

2 Likes