Covid Vaccine Comments

Have you had the Covid vaccine yet? How have you done? Have you had any interaction with those who fear it as it comes out? If so, what is their impression?
I just had my second yesterday (I know they only give it to me to protect those I care for as a family doc). I have to admit I was surprised at the flu like syndrome of aches, nausea and headache. It is in contrast to the achy arm like a tetanus shot from the first one. It’s been 24 hours now since the shot, and I still have some chills. My partners and nurse friends who had it told me to hunker down for the next day. Tylenol does help.
I am interested in you positive and challenging experiences.
Thanks.

I see that Peaceful Science also is discussing this. It’s great to encourage as many as we can to have the shot.

Testimonials communicating realistic responses may combat fear based misinformation.

1 Like

Our clinic called us a few weeks back and set up an appointment for my wife, older than I and hence eligible, to have her first shot. They had arranged for a publicly available room with single door outside access at our county extension building and easily accessible parking right up against the building. So she got hers last Tuesday, the Moderna one, and had no reaction at all.

Almost before I got back in the car to wait, they came out and to have me come in and get one, as well. (We had a significant snow, ca. 8", the day before and we were not expecting to get into town or even that they would be open. A lot of things were closed and city offices opened late, but the clinic called us, because there had been a mixup with their automated phone notification just after 7 a.m., telling us that it was off. It wasn’t, just delayed, so we went in at about 1 p.m. instead of our scheduled 9:45 a.m., which we couldn’t have kept. There may have been enough folks that couldn’t get there, but whatever the case, they gave me one too.)

I had a mildly sore shoulder later in the evening and a little into the next morning. My wife has some orthopedic issues and takes a generic Excedrin by the clock, and I wonder. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen have been in the news some lately regarding the immune response if taken prophylactically to ease side effects. The efficacy studies do not address that, to my knowledge.

1 Like

I had my first 2 weeks ago. Nothing but a little soreness, much like a flu shot. Moderna vaccine. We will see on the 2nd in a few weeks. My wife got her first Friday, no complaints, Pfizer vaccine.
I am volunteering at a community immunization clinic which gave 100 or so this Thursday, mostly 2nd shots to health care workers and first responders. If we get vaccine in, may be able to scale up to 500 weekly, which is pretty good for our small community. Problem is getting the vaccine at present.

3 Likes

Interesting. It will be neat to see how things play out. Mine was Moderna too. I have heard (and it makes sense to me) that the stronger the reaction, the better the immune memory. I would have to research that, though.

some real life data beginning to come in:

1 Like

Of course, you can’t know if you are in the 5% that it doesn’t protect. Or could a reaction be an indicator that you’re not?

1 Like

Even that 5% may have partial protection. Studies I have seen including the one above show that even if you get it, you seem to be largely protected from serious disease.

2 Likes

The J&J one they’re saying is 100% effective against hospitalization and death from COVID.

1 Like

I saw that too. Of course, nothing is 100%. What it probably means is that none of the 15000 who were in the vaccine arm of the phase 3 study required hospitalization, which is pretty good, but when larger numbers are given, I am sure some will show up.

2 Likes

Interesting! The head, Mr Gorski, is from our little town in Michigan (Fremont), so folks have been watching it closely here

1 Like

Haven’t gotten mine, but husband did. He received Pfizer, and reported only sore arm for 1st dose, and sore arm and small bout of dizziness for the second. But the second was the day after being on call all night, so he doesn’t have any idea if he was unusually tired. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ha! I remember those days! As Dickens wrote," It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness…"

3 Likes

He did say he thinks it’s significantly easier now that he has a baby. :rofl: Used to waking up all night long!

2 Likes

Pretty sure it was the Pfizer vaccine I received at Kaiser week before last. Not much to report except a little soreness in my arm.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard of Dr. Lee D. Merritt MD? My cousin sent me a must watch video interview with Dr. Merritt. She talks about the vaccine and alternative therapies. Just wondering if anyone knows anything. Thanks I have no opion here except that my cousin keeps sending me these types of things.

You got a card that should say which it was?

1 Like

Not yet. Even if i wanted to i cant. Firstly are the elder people here and things are slow. ? Ive passed trough covid though so i dont need it right now. Im still worried about the side effects though. Ive done all of the required vaccines when i was a kid and didnt realise how serious some side effects are. Now im concerned

I know nothing other than what is on the internet. She is evidently an orthopedist, so no real training in infectious disease, active in the alternative medicine, anti-masking, and conspiracy talk circuits. Not much help with dealing with your situation, but if any consolation, you are not alone in trying to deal with conspiracy cultists these days.

4 Likes

Nick, you have to keep things in perspective. Good science gives us information that all currently available vaccines benefit us far above the risks. No vaccine is risk free, but the risks are studied, and are far less than the risk of disease. With Covid, death in your age group îs low, but still there, as is the risk of long term side effects, but they are still far higher than risk of a vaccine. More importantly, if you get the vaccine when the appropriate time comes, you are much less likely to give the disease to your grandma or parents, who do have a much higher risk of death or disability, so getting the vaccine is an act of service as well as helpful personally.

2 Likes

I will do the vaccine but for now im just worried. Id also like to see statistics to evaluate your statement. I was just expressing my thoughts about it.