Blood Red Scars: Incarnation, Evolution, and Self Harm

Can a theological interpretation of evolution help young people embrace their embodied existence in healthier, more positive, ways?
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/guest/blood-red-scars-incarnation-evolution-and-self-harm

“The unintended consequence of this is that embodied existence—sexuality, work, play, etc.—is set over and against the spiritual—prayer, worship, love of God, etc.—which gives embodied life a secondary status. While most Christians affirm a doctrine of creation, the material, embodied life is often seen as less spiritual, or in some cases sinful.” - See more at: Blood Red Scars: Incarnation, Evolution, and Self Harm - Article - BioLogos

I think it is that the physical dimension is seen as a barrier and a trap in the pursuit of holiness. How much easier would it be to be holy or good or pure if we weren’t so hungry, so tired, so hormonally responsive? It’s like we see our embodiedness as one of those hindrances we think we should somehow be casting aside, forgetting that running races is a very embodied thing to do in the first place.

I’m not convinced that reflecting on evolution is the path to better theological perspectives on embodied living. But maybe more holistic theology where the goodness of the physical and material aspects of existence are emphasized would serve to make evolution seem less distasteful or less antagonistic to our ideas of what is good and pure.

2 Likes

I would agree that evolution should not be the way to better theology. however it seems that anti-evolutionary thought seems to be linked to legalism.

I would prefer the teaching of relational theology which would open new doors of Christian thought including the acceptance of an integrated life and evolution as God working in and through nature.