Baby Formula Shortages?

Could be. In my case it was just why was on he carton. I’m not sure what all it was made from. We mostly bought rice and that grain milk. Sometimes soy and almost never cashew. Just based off of taste and texture preferences.

I’m sure you know, but you have to be careful with grain based milks if they are the primary nutrition as grains lack some essential amino acids, and also those tend to not have all the good fats for good brain development. As adults, not as big a deal as usually a minor part of the diet. Plant based formula I am sure is more difficult to make because they have to add all the good stuff mother’s milk already has.

I know more know than I did then but she knew a lot. She had her bachelors in nutrition working towards her masters and became a clinical nutritionist. The grain milks was mixed with pea and rice milks and fortified. He was well off. Though I’m not sure what she used I know she made these home made teething style biscuits for him that had fats in them.

Now days I barley drink milk period. I mix 4 ounces in with morning coffee instead of creamer. I go through 1-2 cartons every two weeks. Though I’m beginning to add it to my smoothies so maybe it will go up. But my son was also using breastmilk in his diet up until he was roughly 2 years old. Then I think he went to regular plant based milks and was eating regular solids. I think around 14 months he was already eating solids if not cooked and mashed fruits and vegetables. She made the bulk of his baby food until he was eating just solids. Even then he still ate a lot of applesauces with other fruits mixed in.

Sounds fine. Grain with legume makes a complete protein, which is why almost all cultures have both in their diets. (Rice and soy, wheat and peas, corn and beans, etc.).

2 Likes

What’s half a protein? Xd. Jk.

Native Americans had the Three Sacred Sisters: corn, beans, and squash. All corn, all squash, and almost all beans are New World crops.

I was raised on soy milk because at three months of age the doctor told my mother to give me cow’s milk and it made me violently ill. I’m lactose intolerant. Now I don’t even want dairy milk or any other animal product.

This isn’t related at all but which one are you in the second picture?

Sorry to hear that happened to you.

What’s your favorite plant based milk now? I really like vanilla soy or vanilla rice milk.

If their baby had “latching” problems to the breast, or their milk didn’t come in, or their supply was too low to satisfy the baby, the baby likely…died.

AKA Me. My babe had to go on a hypoallergenic formula from 3mo-10mo until she could tolerate milk proteins. It’s fairly common and doesn’t mean they will end up becoming lactose intolerant, it’s wild. I could have gone personally on a no-dairy, no-soy diet but at the time my mental health was…not great and cutting out the one last non-human love in my life (dairy) was going to send me over the edge. Plus it takes like 2-4 weeks for it to leave your milk, so it’s just another month of my child feeling miserable when she coudl have felt better right away. Within 72 hours of the new formula, she was a completely new baby.

5 Likes

Phil or others might correct any details I get wrong here.

Proteins are made from amino acids, nine of which are “essential amino acids” meaning our body can’t manufacture them, and so we need them as part of our diet. Many foods have at least some of these essential amino acids, but probably not all of them. (stuff like eggs or meat I think have pretty much all of them). But even those who aren’t wealthy enough to indulge in regular meat diets don’t have to go without. That’s where complementary foods serve them well. E.g. Rice and beans (or peanut butter and bread of PBJ sandwiches … or lots of other natural pairings) are actually pretty good. Rice by itself has some, but not all of the essential amino acids. Beans have much of what rice lacks. So when you put them together, you’ve got yourself a good protein meal. So, contrary to what some American meat enthusiasts might have you believe, you can get adequate protein without having to eat meat all the time (or at all!). But if all you ever ate was rice, breads, or cereals & such - there would be your “half protein” that is still lacking for some of those amino acids.

2 Likes

Sorry I was just making joke about amino acids vs protein. It’s part of the plant based vs meat general areas of focus.

I’m just slow to pick up the humor. I’ll be the one that busts out laughing later after everyone has already quieted down.

2 Likes

I like soy milk and oat milk. Almond milk is tasty but I heard it takes a lot of water to cultivate almonds, so I usually avoid it. There are so many non-dairy milks on the market these days. You used to have to get them in health food stores, but they are mainstream now.

1 Like

It can be a struggle. My daughter adopted a sibling group of three, and the youngest has a dairy protein allergy, the older two are fine with dairy protein but lactose intolerant, and my daughter has a little problem with dairy. When they visit, we may have regular milk, lactose free milk, almond milk and oat milk in the frig. It gets sort of crazy. Sometime we skip the regular milk and just have lactose free, which actually tastes a little sweeter as the lactose is broken down to galactose and glucose ahead of time, as I recall, and it also lasts longer in the frig as it is ultrapasturizedl.

2 Likes

Would that be the antepenultimate, penultimate, or ultimate ultrapasturized milk?

Not sure if serious, but can read about it here:
Difference Between Pasteurized and Ultra Pasteurized Milk - Pediaa.Com.
" The main difference between pasteurized and ultra pasteurized milk is that the pasteurized milk is treated at 161 °F (72 °C) for 15 seconds whereas the ultra pasteurized milk is treated at 280 °F (138 °C) for 2 seconds. Furthermore, pasteurized milk is packed untreated with H2O2 while ultra-pasteurized milk is treated with H2O2 during packaging."

Ironically, most organic milk on the shelf is ultrapasteurized which means it is more highly processed that regular milk. Also, if you take milk baths, if it is pasteurized, be careful or you will drown.

Now, all this is sciencey ( does that have an e?), but how does it relate to faith. I think it can be as we show love to those infants and mothers who are going through this crisis by assisting with finding formula or formula substitutes. We can give grace to those who may be anxious about the situation. We can do our best to guide those who are have limited resources to help provide appropriate and adequate nutrition.

2 Likes

Only partially playful. Playful playing with ante-penultimate/penultimate/ultimate; serious about pasteurized/ultrapasteurized. I’m a “mostly-unaware” regular, Vitamin D homogenized milk drinker. The variations can get exciting quickly. However, slight, ancient experience with munchkins reminds me that they can get hurt feelings easily if they think they’re getting special treatment because they’re “defective”.

Variations in milk could be “a minefield”, …but doesn’t have to be if “unique-ness” is valued as much as “normality” or more even.

I’m reminded of a Deaf kid who was diabetic and had to have daily insulin shots. The hassle, discomfort, and pain of the shots–as well as his “helicopter-Mom’s” constant and evident fretting inspired frequent periods of “rebellion” during which the kid “strained against the bit” whenever he could.

And I have brothers and nephews/nieces who have a variety of allergies, ranging from slight to severe. So I’m not completely ignorant and insensitive to needs; I’m just uninformed and willing to become informed.

4 Likes

I felt like this was a good time to show this one.

“ It’s like stealing milk from a calf”

I say that occasionally instead of candy from a baby.

It’s always amusing when someone believes that there really is some old grandad taking a knee before a cow milking her into a bucket while baby talking to her. Then as he’s leaving he’s like “ bye Betsy I’m off to see Julia now “ while some calf is like jumping around chasing a butterfly.

3 Likes

The USA has started to import infant formula from Europe:
Baby formula arrives in Indianapolis from Germany on US military aircraft to address critical need.

Apparently we have too few companies producing formula. Hoarding and price gouging should be forbidden.

I don’t think there is an acute shortage everywhere-- I checked our local Whole Foods online and they seem to have plenty.

1 Like