Atoms: Do they reflect fractals and could they be smaller or bigger universes?

It is still a matter of opinion , George. Oh, what English speaking country seems to support the BioLogos View? I don’t believe you have given me that answer. I am part Ulster Scot, George. You are going to have to prove it to me beyond a shadow of a doubt. By the way, Ralph Wolfe Cowan is my second cousin once removed. He is on the internet. Look him up if you will. His grandfather, Joseph Octavious Cowan, was brother to my great-grandfather, Charles Edward Cowan. Please do look up my cousin if you also enjoy art! :smile_cat: President Carter is a great-grandson to their cousin Andrew Cowan. Also, I wish to thank you for the information. I am quite sure that Dr. Ross already knows this.

Post Scriptum: The reason for the edit is this: I used an adverb where I should have used a pronoun. We must write correctly, shouldn’t we?

Patrick, what an interesting comment! Do you have some reference for this, so that I can explore it in detail? The reason macroscopic objects do not exhibit quantum effects is because of “decoherence”]1, whereby the phase relations between components of the superposition state are removed due to interactions with the environment. I don’t see how objects as massive as black holes, even if existing in interstellar space, would not be subject to such interactions, but maybe this would be explained by the article to which you would refer me.

You are correct, George

Patrick, haven’t heard back from you with a reference, so I’ll give my own thoughts on your very interesting comment. First, the shape of orbits is not a defined quantity in modern quantum mechanics (as opposed to the first Bohr formulation). There are shapes to probability distributions, and for electrons with non-zero orbital angular momentum, these will not be spherically symmetric. On the other hand General Relativity (GR) does away with the uniform elliptical orbit. If you plot the orbit of mercury, you’ll see ellipse move, so if you tracked it over many circuits, you’d get a petal-like arrangement–this is the advancement in the perhelion of mercury that validated Einstein’s General Relativity. Given the large masses of black holes, one would expect that General Relativity would predict even more pronounced advances in the the perhelion of the orbit, whence a cloverleaf orbit. Accordingly, I don’t think that quantum mechanics has much to do with the orbit shape, though it does play a part in the release of matter near the event horizon.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.