Atheism & Theism Compared

Scientific proof of God you’re not going get. Reasonable evidence you already have.

Ultimately, discussions like these do come down to what types of evidence are reasonable.

1 Like

There is still the matter of bias, intrinsic or otherwise, reasonable or otherwise, and openness to the facts on the ground.

There sure is.

Yep. Maybe it’s time for a reprise of the some of the ‘facts on the ground’, the reality of some the objective evidence for God’s providential interventions into the lives of his children for the new and uninitiated, accessible here, the first case a scientist and resulting in her new faith, and the second a successful business leader (the CEO of Lenox high end dinnerware and gifts!), already a Christian, resulting in a change in his life’s direction (not altogether willingly at first!).

Nope. The burden of proof lies with anyone expecting other people to agree with them. So yeah, when theists are the majority and act like there is something wrong with atheists for believing differently then the burden of proof lies with them. But the same applies in reverse situations where atheists are the majority and act like something is wrong with religious people for believing differently than they do.

And we both know that he was wrong. Any kind of ideology whether religious or not can get good people to do evil things. Certainly communism proved that even an atheist ideology can do that.

Wasn’t communism formed in reaction to a very real abuse by the ruling class? In some ways, the lesson seems to be also, in part, that any ideology born out of victimization (consider the Puritans, Spanish Inquisition after the Reconquista, and even the Nazis after the WWI humiliation and poverty, etc) can become tyrannical. Thanks

I had a Marxist friend in med school who told me Jesus and the early Christians were Marxists. To a certain extent, he had a point! The Dutch Communists also spearheaded a 300,000 person protest to protect the Jews.

Thanks.

2 Likes

All Christians pray, don’t they? If a Christian never talks to God, I can’t see how such person is different from atheist.

You mean like the civil rights movement? LOL

I certainly think an ideology can make good people do bad things just as Stephen Weinberg claimed religions can do.

That would be quite a trick nearly two millennia before Marx existed. LOL No. A case might be made for them being communist in the sense of living communally. But there wasn’t one iota of Marxist theory in their thinking. And they did not even rebel against the social order. Does the Bible even call slaves to take up arms against their masters for liberation? No. Liberation theology is crock!

I don’t doubt it. Have you read Lenin’s “What is to be Done?” It was a Leninist strategy for the communist party to support any popular cause in order to build a power base, lying their butts off about their real ultimate goals. And first to be slaughtered would be these very same idealistic dupes who proved themselves brave enough to stand up for what is right. And what was the treatment of Jews in communists regimes?

1 Like

All good points. I got a bit carried away. All i was musing about really was how we can go astray…victims can be blind. As Corrie TenBoom wrote, Satan’s lie can be that we have been hurt, so we have no responsibility or faults.

I did not know that about Lenin. Interesting! Thanks. I am sure everyone has reasons, good and bad.

I said some humans don’t want to talk to God, not some Christians.

This is to T_aquaticus,

Since you don’t talk to creation as a whole, can I conclude you have no conscious relationship with creation as a whole?

Do you confirm or deny the following assertion,

In the life of many humans, coming-of-age entails a dawning awareness of infinite values. Moreover, one of the chief awakenings appears as awareness of the world as an engulfing whole. Consequently, the conscious path through life of an individual usually gets shaped by his/her perceived relationship to the world as a whole.

If there’s a germ of truth in the above, then, for many humans, there is no escape from a conscious relationship to the world as a whole. That relationship can be characterized by the decision to retreat from engagement with the world as a whole, but, nonetheless, it is a conscious relationship to the world as a whole.

I am confused. How does one talk to the cosmos?

2 Likes

I don’t talk to creation as a whole. What would be the point? It sounds like a musical or opera. What do you say to creation? And what does it say back to you?

1 Like

I agree that coming of age involves a search for identity and a meaningful place in the world. I’m just counter-asserting that not all humans perceive their world as including God, and are content to find their identity and place among other humans. I say that has a Christian. I don’t think non-believers are deficient in humanity, consciousness, or maturity because they don’t desire to commune with God.

1 Like

That’s true. And people will rally behind anything that seems to promise relief from their misery. And countries can go from the hell of a right-wing dictator to the hell of a left-wing dictator, as was the case in Cuba.

1 Like

We agree. I also agree that no one has to justify their personal beliefs to other people.

I don’t think there is something wrong with people for having religious beliefs. I think it is a completely normal thing for humans to do.

That was the second part of the quote, but Weinberg used “religion” instead of “ideology”.

“With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.”–Steven Weinberg

I much prefer ideology to religion in this comparison, so we definitely agree on that point.

1 Like

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 09-14-26 Stephen Crane and quotes - Google Search

2 Likes

Well, yeah! That was my thought at 12 yo in that year at a Catholic school with everyone asking me if I believed in God. I replied, “I think the question isn’t whether God exists but, what is God.” It seemed only rational for me to accept that when people talked of “God” they were talking about something that exists. The only question was, what was this thing the word was referring to. Was it only a character in a story, Paul Tillich’s ground of being, Einstein’s notion of a natural order, or a thinking feeling person with whom we could have a relationship?

Most would say that puts you in the atheist category, I think.

It is as though… there is a bodiless entity who maintains a pipeline to everyone’s most intimate thoughts and feelings and occasionally grants favors in an untraceable manner.

I just HAD to try that out. LOL

2 Likes