Adam and Original Sin: What Does the Bible Really Say?

This post is part of a series of excerpts from the new book Evolution and the Fall.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://biologos.org/blogs/brad-kramer-the-evolving-evangelical/adam-and-original-sin-what-does-the-bible-really-say

Accordingly, on the issue of original sin, scripture provides plenty of room to take seriously the primary questions raised by evolutionary biology. - See more at: Adam and Original Sin: What Does the Bible Really Say? - BioLogos

This is great, I am going to have to pick up a copy of this book. Both of the selected excerpts elucidate the conclusion that personally helped me, a conservative YEC, to accept evolution without having to change my conservative theology.

Instead of asking, “Which is correct?” it is extremely helpful to ask, “Does the scripture make room for this?” This “Option C” can not only help an individual break free of a mindset that will not allow them to consider evolution, I believe it is a valuable tool is resolving conflict between two camps.

So in an argument between an evolutionist who believed Adam and Eve were figurative, and a YE creationist who believed Adam and Eve were literal, asking both sides “Is there room in scripture for evolution to be true, and also for Adam and Eve to be literal?” would help move the discussion forward.

The Chalcedon connection is so good: we often get stuck asking “is it this or is it that?” when God has, surprisingly, done both.

1 Like