A talk on Science and Faith Incompatibility

I cannot argue against Jesus Christ being the Way, the Truth and the Life. No matter what we agree or disagree in terms of the details of the alignment of science and faith, we must always keep Christ in the center.

I would ask you to consider that during Jesus’ human life on earth, he repeatedly spoke out against the “traditions” of the religious leaders of the time, but never spoke out against scripture that existed at that time. In fact, He quoted and referenced scripture continually. I take this as an endorsement of the canon of scripture that existed at this time and evidence that the Old Testament is the Word of God.

Does it count as “speaking out against scripture” to rewrite it completely? For example: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." (Matthew 5:38-39)

“You have heard it said” was not referring to tradition only – it was referring to scripture, as Jesus directly quotes Exodus. (I do believe the OT is inspired, but simply that Jesus supersedes it).

3 Likes

Ohhhh… that’s a good one, @Laura!

Jesus first confirms the Old Testament content and then provides an updated view based on the “age of Grace”. Jesus did not say the original scripture said to turn the other cheek, but man changed it to say “an eye for an eye”. He confirmed what the original scripture was.

Jesus made it clear in Matthew 19:8 that the Law specific to divorce was written the way it was because of the hardness of our heart, and then he provided how divorce should be handled in the age of Grace. He does the same for murder and adultery in Matthew 5, the sermon on the mount. Even though the Law was limited, no man could keep it. This is even more apparent as the expectations are increased in the age of Grace. In no case does he say the language in the Old Testament is incorrect, he confirms it to be accurate.

I’m not sure what you mean here – are you saying that humans changed scripture to say “an eye for an eye”? In other words, are you saying that
Exodus 21:24, Leviticus 24:20, and Deuteronomy 19:21 are not inspired? “An eye for an eye” is straight from scripture in multiple places and Jesus completely rewrites it.

Jesus called human being to go beyond the old Mosaic Covenant to the New Covenant based on faith in Jesus as the Messiah, the Second Person of the Trinity. He is the Logos the eternal Word of God.

In the original conversation, I stated that if the Bible is the Word of God, then it is the truth.

Mr. Sawtelle replied

I was making the point that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Jesus often quoted from the Old testament, verifying its content to be accurate in scripture. The point I was trying to make is that if the Truth is quoting from the Old Testament, then the Old testament must also be the truth.

Jesus, as Mr. Sawtelle eloquently stated, called us to a higher plane in the Age of Grace. This direction superseded direction given in the Old Testament under the Age of Law. This does not mean that the Old Testament is not the truth or any less of the Word of God, it is just not directed for us in the Age of Grace to follow.

Paul stated that all these things were given to us for example and admonition. The Old Testament still has a great deal of value.

So if I’m understanding you right, you mean that Jesus upholds the truth and validity of the Old Testament as a whole, while still taking the liberty to override parts of it since he is the actual Truth?

If so, I suppose that makes sense, though I’m not sure I follow when you say

Are you implying that any document Jesus quotes from is automatically rendered truth? What if he quotes from other rabbinical writings that are not considered scripture?