Increased social issues with social distancing?

Why is the evidence for the hunger crisis being ignored?? Why is the disruption to the food supply chain being ignored?? It is both a social issue and a public health issue. There IS evidence that these things lead to death, and death in far greater numbers than has been caused by COVID. Please see the links on the hunger crisis I posted before.

Here is one on the food supply chain that I don’t think I posted.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/covid-19-disrupts-complex-food-chains-beef-milk-eggs-produce/#close

I am not saying COVID is nothing to be concerned about. I also fully support the protests and ending inequality.

Yes but as I pondered up here:

Hunger issues are a separate problem from opening up non essential businesses which America is doing regardless of how they are trending.

For those working in those non-essential businesses, earning a paycheck might well be a needed thing to put food on the table if their pay is low.

Of course I still want opening to be done carefully but I think there is reason to try to work out ways for these too to open.

1 Like

Economic shutdowns lead to disruptions in the food supply chain. Disruptions to the food supply chain mean less food to go around. Aside from that would you agree that hunger is linked to poverty? In turn, would you agree that poverty is linked to unemployment?? After that, would you agree that the fewer jobs there are, the higher unemployment will be, which means more people going hungry?? In some sense, all jobs are “essential”.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I wanted to update this post with the CDC’s recent report:

In particular, results were most alarming with those 18-24, those that are essential workers, and those that are unpaid adult caregivers. This is in line with many others concerned about mental health and it is important to try to get some feel for the situation.

So when I observe what appears to be many more unmasked younger people it may be that their need to connect is stronger than that of the older crowd who are more at risk of a fatal encounter with COVID. Good. One less reason to be angry. My blood pressure will appreciate that.

1 Like

Would that be the…

freedom to spread the disease whenever you like to whoever you like?
freedom of businesses to help the spread of the virus?

OR…

freedom to protect your employees and customers from the virus?
freedom of people to access services without risk to their family?

1 Like

Freedom for people to make their own decisions.

If a business wants to require masks as a prerequisite for entry, I support that.

If a business does not want to require masks, I support that.

If a business associate doesn’t want to go to work at a business that does not require masks, I support that.

If a person wants to stay home, or have the grocery store put his groceries in the trunk with minimal interaction, I support that.

If an elected official requires masks, I support that.

If a person does not want to wear a mask in a jurisdiction where mask-wearing is optional, I support their right not to wear a mask.

In the past week, I drove 3225 miles across much of the country. Some places were fastidious about mask wearing. Others were not.

On which specific points do you disagree with me, Mitchell?

Freedom for people to decide to drive at 60 mph in a residential area?

1 Like

No, Dale, but I do support the right of people to fail at making analogies. So, you go, brother!

1 Like

Yeah, I guess you are free to fail to recognize the application of the analogy to wearing masks.

Try this, it’s not an analogy for you to not get:

Freedom for people to be stupid about wearing masks, endangering exponentially many others?

When freedom is just too important not to make mandatory.

1 Like

Exactly. Freedom for others not to have to die.

What does it mean to “support that”? If a retail business does not require customers to wear masks and therefore places their employees at greater risk, should the employees just … stay home? Lose their jobs? Not work? Get evicted? At some point we have to draw the line and say that individuals’ need for work (in a relatively safe environment) and income is more important than other individuals’ desire to simply not wear a mask for a brief shopping trip.

5 Likes

I totally agree with the freedom of people to turn away those who refuse to wear masks.
I totally agree with the freedom of people to not go to stores and businesses which require masks.
I totally agree with the freedom of people to die from the virus if they so choose.
I totally agree with the freedom of people to stay at home without whatever masks or clothing they prefer.

Though… I can kind of understand the Florida sheriff since checking people’s faces and identifying them is a part of their job. You wouldn’t want people posing as officers to come into the station in order to do whatever they please, would you?

How about the freedom of the health department to shut them down for endangering people’s lives?

2 Likes

The employees certainly could be wearing masks, and a brief dropping of a mask for visitors’ identification would suffice, if indeed ID is a problem.

2 Likes

If the law allows it, as set by authorities empowered for such decisions, yes.

If the official does not have such power, no.

I believe in the checks and balances system, not the dictatorship of bureaucracy.

1 Like

Well, Laura, should every employee be allowed to set the policy for the store?

What if an employer decides not to require masks in the store and an employee disagrees? I support the right of the employee to quit. I do not support the right of the most fearful employee to set policy for the entire store.

Yes, if an employee does not agree with a store’s policies, that employee has a right to quit. That employee does not have the right to dictate store policy.

Laura, what if an employee believes that isolation until a proven vaccine is the “right” path, should that employee still have a job after refusing to report to work for months?