Increased social issues with social distancing?

I think mid fall is the best time to visit. The air is cooler but the water is still really warm from being heated up all summer. Though it’s still daylight at 8pm which is nice. I worked late today. But the sun is up 530am-8pm and so I can work 630-630 and still be able to run or bike well over an hour.

With the pandemic though, for the sake of others I act as if I take it more serious than I actually do as a default , and so I’m still not hanging out at the beach and am instead hiking along the bay side mostly. More plants there also. With all the wilderness it’s easy to hike 3 miles out where you don’t even come across another person for hours at a time.

2 Likes

For whatever reason you seem to be oblivious to the meaning and purpose of God’s Kingdom. We are not to bring people into agreement. We are to create a place where people can work together to help one another despite our differences and because of our differences. The primary reason why w3e have these problems more than ever is because the POTUS and his supporters so not think that they should be nice to others and demonstrate human decency toward those whom they oppose.

Checks and balances means it is more difficult for one group to override the rights of others. Sadly it also makes it makes it relatively easy for a fanatic minority to veto the rights of the majority. as we have seen. It makes cooperation more important, not less,

Trump supporters follow Trump, not Jesus Christ. That is what you have wrong.

Sorry to hear that. Montgomery’s ICU beds were overwhelmed to the point that cases were sent to Birmingham. Please continue to act like you take it seriously even if you actually don’t.

I will. Though not always , I tend to accept the advice of professionals until I hear more feedback from other professionals. But when it’s essentially across the board, and within reason, I’ll accept it.

I don’t really hang out with people anyways beyond bible studies. So anything that’s not essential to me I am willing to reduce and find another approach to. Besides I would rather not eat in a restaurant and continue to work.

2 Likes

Well, Roger, you seem to have imagined that I hold positions that I don’t hold.

I have noticed when people do not agree with my views they often attack me personally.

I understand you don’t like Trump. There are lots of things about him that I don’t like either. I did not vote for him, so I think you have me confused with someone else.

However, I think your view that a person cannot “follow” (whatever you mean by that) Trump and also follow Jesus is somewhat narrow. I know what following Jesus means. I don’t know what you mean by “follow Trump.” I am a follower of Jesus, not a follower of any politician.

As for the “fanatic minority” vetoing the rights of the majority using the checks and balances system, the other way to view that might be that our system of government was set up such that the rights of the Individuals cannot be trampled by the majority. I, for one, am happy for our checks and balances system and the protections of due process.

It seems the other party is finally convinced that social issues are worth risking COVID.

I’ll have to read through that again, I saw the letter the other day but it might’ve been updated. The main difference that I see is the one side wanting to open everything up doesn’t have evidence of increased social issues, but the recent protests do have evidence of racial issues leading to increased deaths for certain communities:

They argue the difference between these protests and those of a month ago:

On April 30, heavily armed and predominantly white protesters entered the State Capitol building in Lansing, Michigan, protesting stay-home orders and calls for widespread public masking to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Infectious disease physicians and public health officials publicly condemned these actions and privately mourned the widening rift between leaders in science and a subset of the communities that they serve. As of May 30, we are witnessing continuing demonstrations in response to ongoing, pervasive, and lethal institutional racism set off by the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, among many other Black lives taken by police. A public health response to these demonstrations is also warranted, but this message must be wholly different from the response to white protesters resisting stay-home orders. Infectious disease and public health narratives adjacent to demonstrations against racism must be consciously anti-racist, and infectious disease experts must be clear and consistent in prioritizing an anti-racist message.

Why is the evidence for the hunger crisis being ignored?? Why is the disruption to the food supply chain being ignored?? It is both a social issue and a public health issue. There IS evidence that these things lead to death, and death in far greater numbers than has been caused by COVID. Please see the links on the hunger crisis I posted before.

Here is one on the food supply chain that I don’t think I posted.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/covid-19-disrupts-complex-food-chains-beef-milk-eggs-produce/#close

I am not saying COVID is nothing to be concerned about. I also fully support the protests and ending inequality.

Yes but as I pondered up here:

Hunger issues are a separate problem from opening up non essential businesses which America is doing regardless of how they are trending.

For those working in those non-essential businesses, earning a paycheck might well be a needed thing to put food on the table if their pay is low.

Of course I still want opening to be done carefully but I think there is reason to try to work out ways for these too to open.

1 Like

Economic shutdowns lead to disruptions in the food supply chain. Disruptions to the food supply chain mean less food to go around. Aside from that would you agree that hunger is linked to poverty? In turn, would you agree that poverty is linked to unemployment?? After that, would you agree that the fewer jobs there are, the higher unemployment will be, which means more people going hungry?? In some sense, all jobs are “essential”.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I wanted to update this post with the CDC’s recent report:

In particular, results were most alarming with those 18-24, those that are essential workers, and those that are unpaid adult caregivers. This is in line with many others concerned about mental health and it is important to try to get some feel for the situation.

So when I observe what appears to be many more unmasked younger people it may be that their need to connect is stronger than that of the older crowd who are more at risk of a fatal encounter with COVID. Good. One less reason to be angry. My blood pressure will appreciate that.

1 Like

Would that be the…

freedom to spread the disease whenever you like to whoever you like?
freedom of businesses to help the spread of the virus?

OR…

freedom to protect your employees and customers from the virus?
freedom of people to access services without risk to their family?

1 Like

Freedom for people to make their own decisions.

If a business wants to require masks as a prerequisite for entry, I support that.

If a business does not want to require masks, I support that.

If a business associate doesn’t want to go to work at a business that does not require masks, I support that.

If a person wants to stay home, or have the grocery store put his groceries in the trunk with minimal interaction, I support that.

If an elected official requires masks, I support that.

If a person does not want to wear a mask in a jurisdiction where mask-wearing is optional, I support their right not to wear a mask.

In the past week, I drove 3225 miles across much of the country. Some places were fastidious about mask wearing. Others were not.

On which specific points do you disagree with me, Mitchell?

Freedom for people to decide to drive at 60 mph in a residential area?

1 Like

No, Dale, but I do support the right of people to fail at making analogies. So, you go, brother!

1 Like

Yeah, I guess you are free to fail to recognize the application of the analogy to wearing masks.

Try this, it’s not an analogy for you to not get:

Freedom for people to be stupid about wearing masks, endangering exponentially many others?